Blissful Art

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Photography Tips: Guest post by Julia


I'd like to introduce you to my first ever guest blogger, Julia! Julia has an awesome blog, be sure to check it out! 
*******


Hello! Howdy! Nice to meetcha (or re-meet you, if that's the case)!

I'm Julia, from Through the Looking Glass, and I'm here today to talk to you about...

*drumroll*

Photography Tips!

*cymbal clash*

Now, let me say this before I get started. I ain't no expert. I don't want to pretend to be one. So what I say is just the result of my young photographers brain. It may or may not be correct. But it's what I think works best! Having said that, let's get this show on the road!

1. Turn off that darn flash!

Here's one that you've probably heard a million billion times, and probably already know. But to those of you who still think that a flash makes a better picture... let me just tell you, I've been you. Yup. That's right. For a while, I thought that a flash turned an okay picture into a masterpiece. Every time I read "turn off your flash" as a photography tip, I got sad. 

I loved my flash.

But. I have been converted to the no-flash side simply because I realized that a flash makes pictures look fake. When I use my flash, the picture on the camera monitor isn't what I see in real life. 

Here we have an example of what the flash does to a photo in evening light when the shutter speed slows down-
Both are SOOC, flash on top, no flash on bottom

The flash one? It looks okay. But that isn't how the peach looked in real life! 

So anyways. Aside from family gatherings where taking pictures is to capture memories and you don't want to take a chance with blurring issues, don't use your flash.

And that's an order! ;)

2. Be Creative!

Ever have those days where you plan to take pictures of your little sister but she decides she wants to glue herself to Webkinz for a couple hours instead of come outside with you?

No?

Is that just me? :)

Well maybe that particular story is mine, but I know that everybody runs into a photography predicament every once in a while. Whether it's uncooperative siblings, bad weather, or just some dreaded photographers block, do not be discouraged! Whip out your camera and conquer the world! Take pictures of things that you wouldn't have taken pictures of. Everyday objects- handwriting, headbands, dripping water, etc, can be turned into a work of art with you and your camera.


3. Be inspired, but be yourself

I love looking at other peoples photography! I find it inspiring and refreshing to see other peoples photos and their style of photography. But too many times I think, "Why can't my photos look like theirs?" The next time I  take photos, I try to make mine look like theirs. Whether it's angles, styles, or editing, all I want is for my photography to look like a replica of that persons.
And then you know what happens?

Big. Epic. Fail.

Yup. Because when you try to copy off another persons photography personality, you aren't being yourself. And then your photos aren't reflective of you, which is what matters the most.

4. Look for the details

This is kind of like the photography tip for "don't judge a book by it's cover".

At first glance (and second and third etc. :)), this wheelbarrow looks pretty darn un-lovely and pretty darn grody.



But take a step closer, a few steps down, and the ugliness goes away.

Okay. Not really. But getting up close definitely makes it more interesting!

Now, instead of a wheelbarrow, you have a toppling rusty screw-



and an interesting patch of splintery wood grain-


:)

5. Have FUN!

Break the rules. Do what you want to do. Take pictures of things you want to take pictures of. Photography should be enjoyable, not a chore. If you get tired of it, don't be afraid to take a few days off. Coming back renewed and refreshed will be better then you forcing yourself to take multiple photos a day. And remember- it doesn't matter what camera you have. Taking photos is about capturing beauty, whether it's with a DSLR or a camera phone.

This beauty of a photo was taken with a point-and-shoot. To this day, it remains one of my favorite  photos. :)

my dog after she sneezed 

Lots of love,
Julia :)



2 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely post!
    I found all of this very useful. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hey, if you have a craft and you ever want to do a guest post on my blog, just leave me a comment! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched that you want to leave a thought behind! However, I do moderate my comments and anything rude or offensive shall not be published. :)