Blissful Art

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Camp NaNoWriMo: To do or not to do?

(I'm sorry for the lack of posts! I've been sick lately.)

Last November I committed to something absolutely crazy.

And it's called NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).


What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.
Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.
Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.
When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.
Where: You write wherever you’d like. On your computer, on your iPad, on a typewriter---anywhere is fine, just as long as you’re writing! For a more in-depth NaNoWriMo overview, visit the devilishly handsome "What is NaNoWriMo?"and "How NaNoWriMo Works" pages.
 {Taken from NaNoWriMo.org }


 Sadly, not too far into NaNo, guess what happened?

I accidentally deleted my whole novel.


 A writer's worst nightmare. That was hardly encouraging. I thought about giving up (Part of me really wanted to...) but instead I decided to switch to YWP (Young Writers Program). On YWP, you can choose your own goal. I set a goal and succeeded. But after I completed NaNoWriMo, I lost interest in my story line, so I never started editing. But then I heard about this little thing called, Camp NaNoWriMo.  It's NaNoWriMo for summertime! I'm kind of considering doing it for August. It makes a lot more sense to do NaNo in the summer for me. In November, I'm knee-deep in schoolwork. I can't decide if I want to do Camp NaNoWriMo or not... :) (And now I shall end this post with un-desisive-ness. :D)

(Oh, and here is a cool picture I took that has nothing to do with anything)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I would do the Camp if you did it too :D Seriously, :)

    Johanna
    http://kidsonthefarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely do it if you want to! :)
    I wrote my book, "The Spring Fairy" in November 2010 using Nanowrimo, and I am ashamed to say that I have barely edited at all! *face palm* I really do need to get to work on that. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched that you want to leave a thought behind! However, I do moderate my comments and anything rude or offensive shall not be published. :)